1894 – 1973
was born in Lithuania in 1894. He was a sculptor, lithographer, and
Lovet-Lorski studied at the Academy of Art in St. Petersburg Russia
from 1914-1916. He immigrated to Boston in 1920 and then later lived
in New York City. He lived in Paris from 1926 to 1932 and then in Los
Angeles from 1932 until 1934. Eventually, he became an American citizen.
Lovet-Lorski stylistically is categorized as an Art Deco artist. He
is known for creating work from a variety of rare materials including
marble, granite, slate, and onyx. His sculptures, including the bronzes,
have a highly polished look. His work from the 1920s and 1930s often
feature exotic allegorical nudes and stylized horses. He also sculpted
many busts, often on commission.
a member of many organizations and clubs, including the Lotus Club,
National Academy of Design, Society of Independent Artists, and several
Lovet-Lorski exhibited in the United State, Europe and South America.
Solo exhibitions include Grace Horn Gallery in Boston in 1920 and the
Milwaukee Art Institute. Additionally, Lovet-Lorski had solo exhibitions
in many other cities including Caracas, London, Philadelphia, New York
City, and Manila. He also participated in exhibitions at the Reinhardt
Gallery in 1925 and at the Art Institute of Chicago in 1932 and 1940.
In Paris Lovet-Lorski’s work is in the collections of the Musée
Luxembourg, Bibliotèque Nationale, and the Petit Palais. His
work is also represented in the British Museum in London.
works are in many museums and galleries in the United States including
the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, San Francisco Museum of Art, Boston
University, Seattle Museum of Art, and San Diego Fine Arts Society.
Lovet-Lorski was commissioned to create many works including a bust
of Franklin D. Roosevelt for the City of Paris in 1949 and busts of
Charles DeGaulle, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and John Foster Dulles for Paris
in 1959. He was commissioned to complete a heroic bronze bust of John
Foster Dulles for the Washington Dulles International Airport in 1963
and a bronze bust of John F. Kennedy for Brandeis University in 1965.